Friday, March 5, 2010

#25 GxSA (Galaxy Summer Ale)

Brewed: 3rd December, 2009

Another catch up post. This next beer in my series of Summer Ales was the second one that used Galaxy Hops. The change between this one and the last one was that instead of using Torrified Wheat, I used Carapils malt. I am assuming that the wheat content in the original recipe is used to aid head retention, and as Carapils is also used for that, I thought I would see if I could notice any difference between the two. I'm actually planning on doing the side-by-side test later on today, and I'll report the results back here in the near future.

The brewday didn't go entirely to plan. It was the first time I had a boil-over in the full size kettle, resulting in quite a mess in the brewery. I also made a note that the final volume appeared to be lower than usual, which I put down to the extra vigorous boiling at the start (which is what overflowed the kettle!). Aside from that, I came close to my target numbers, and more importantly, the numbers were consistent with similar recipes done previously.

The recipe:

Australian Pale Malt: 4500g
Carapils: 400g

Galaxy pellets (13.4% AA): 12g @ -80 mins ~18 IBU
Galaxy pellets (13.4% AA): 12g @-20 mins ~10 IBU
Galaxy pellets (13.4% AA): 16g @ -5 mins ~4 IBU
Galaxy pellets (13.4% AA): 23g in no-chill cube < 1 IBU

Mash time: 60 minutes
Target mash temperature: 64C
Start: 64C End: 61.5C

Run-off: 30L

Pre-boil SG: 1041
Boil Time: 90 minutes

Target OG: 1047
Actual OG: 1046

Volume in fermenter: 21L
Yeast: WLP001 - California Ale (harvested from #24 GBSA)
Ferment temperature: 19C

FG: 1011
ABV: 4.6%

No comments: