Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Music in 2008

We're looking forward to another great year of new & live music! Due to bad timing of our last-minute trip last year, we missed out on seeing José Gonzales play at The Tivoli in January. However, we were fortunate enough to catch Sufjan Stevens with his band there a couple of weeks later.

I was pretty bummed when I heard that Sonic Youth weren't doing a Brisbane show (despite doing Adelaide & Perth), so it was a great surprise for me that Kate got us tickets for the show in Adelaide! I got into Sonic Youth right after they played Livid '98 (even though I didn't get to see them then) and I've only only seen them live once since then. A lot of people I know don't get the noise aspect of their music but it strikes a great chord within me.

Unfortunately, we missed out on tickets for Jens Lekman at The Troubadour on March 5th, but I'm going to do my best not to miss out on tickets to the Mountain Goats gig at The Zoo on April 15th. We've seen them play there three times before and it's always been a great show. John Darnielle exudes passion in his singing and playing, leading to a very mesmerising performance. This is the first time they're bringing a drummer out to Australia with them, so it'll be interesting to see how much of a difference it makes to the past guitar/bass performances.

No comments: